Thursday, August 20, 2015

Drew Struzan: The Force Awakens Actually Worst Star Wars Film



The ink hasn’t even dried on the headlines Drew Struzan made yesterday regarding Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but the artist is at it again. Only this time, he’s done a 180 on what he had previously said about the film. Read on for an exclusive interview with Struzan.


FSW: Wow, this is such an honor to be here with my favorite movie poster artist of all time! Your work has been an inspiration for fakers everywhere.

DREW: There’s nothing fake about my work.

FSW: I beg to differ, sir. What I mean is… the paint is real, and so is the canvas, and certainly your passion. But the actual scenes are fake wouldn’t you say.

 DREW: Aah, okay. I got it now. I suppose so yes. I fabricate scenes in my head and create compositions featuring characters that don’t actually exist. That’s fair.

FSW: Hope you don’t mind, but I’m going to dispense with the pleasantries and jump right into the controversy.

DREW: Go for it, puss.


FSW: Recently you were approached by JJ Abrams to do some artwork for the upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The poster you created was unveiled at the recent D23 convention, and was met with disappointment. How does that feel?

DREW: No skin off my back. To be honest, it makes me chuckle. The poster was literally created by a committee. The FordArtwork Group dictated much of what I painted. So… the fan outrage is well warranted… and I feel vindicated by it.


FSW: I have to ask then. Did you purposely make Han Solo look like a geriatric caveman?

DREW: Let’s just say it’s probably not a bright move to insult the guy being paid to paint your likeness. I certainly took a few liberties. The photos they supplied me were ridiculous. Ford sent me pictures of himself from the 1970s. I’m a painter, not a f*%$ing magician. I did what I could with what I was given.

FSW: Was your experience dealing with the Ford Artwork Group the most difficult commission you’ve ever worked on?

DREW: Oddly enough, it wasn’t. The worst was the prequel posters for George. You know, there’s a saying, nothing kills a bad product faster than good advertising… and I feel I’m a bit at fault for misleading audiences into thinking those movies were better than they were. Keep in mind, I had seen rough cuts of the film before painting the posters. So I was well aware of how crap they were… but George y’know… George can be a charming devil. He also has so much goddamn dirt on me, I couldn’t say no.



FSW: What do you think would have happened if you refused George?

DREW: He’d release the photos and publicly ruin me.

FSW: What photos?

DREW: This is not the question you’re asking me.

FSW: What?

DREW: The droids are not looking for you. Hello?!

FSW: Oh, right, right. Moving right along… you claim JJ Abrams let you read the script of The Force Awakens.

DREW: Correctamundo!

FSW: You claim you also saw the first half of the movie, and that it’s probably the best Star Wars movie ever.

DREW: Yeah…No.

FSW: What do you mean by “Yeah…No”?

DREW: I thought it may be the best one ever until last night.

FSW: What happened last night?

DREW: JoJo was so thrilled by all the attention I generated on Tweeter, he sent me the second half of the rough cut to watch.

FSW: That’s amazing!

DREW: It’s terrible. How can anyone in their right minds ruin Act 3 like that?! No f&%king Luke Skywalker until the last minute. And when he finally shows up, you have him do THAT? THAT?!!?

FSW: So you no longer think it’s the best Star Wars ever?

DREW: Heavens to Betsy NO! I actually went as far as re-reading the script and subsequently now that I’ve seen the other half of it (THE FORCE AWAKENS) I can tell you and the fans this, honest to god, it is far and away probably going to be THE WORST Star Wars you’ve ever seen"

FSW: Did you share your thoughts on the film with JJ?

DREW: We Skyped immediately after I finished watching the trainwreck. Lemme tell you, I gave him the business!! You have to understand, without George in the picture, I can’t be blackmailed any more.

FSW: What about the poster?

DREW: I can’t take back the D23 mess, but the actual movie poster design I was working on… haha… it died in the fire of all fires.


FSW: You burned it?

DREW: Damn straight. Let JoJo watch too. Maybe next time he makes a decent film. Drew Struzan doesn’t paint for any old hack. I can’t lie to the public any more. I had been lying for George for over 30 years. But I’m free now. I’m free!

FSW: Do you think you’ll work on the posters for any of the Star Wars spinoff projects?

DREW: Haha. One thing I never burn is bridges, so I’m certainly open to it if the particular movie doesn’t outright suck.

FSW: Thank you for your time.

DREW: Whatever, nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment